One of the most popular features of AirPods Pro is the ability to enable noise cancellation to block out all outside noise when you are listening to your music.
This is definitely an excellent and really useful feature, but some users might not know how to turn on noise cancelling on AirPods or how to turn it off.
So, if you recently got a new set of AirPods Pro, then in this article, we have explained 3 ways on how to turn on noise cancelling on AirPods Pro. Here we have also covered how to turn this feature off and how the feature works. So, let’s have a closer look.
How To Turn On Noise Cancelling On AirPods: 3 Quick Ways
The AirPods Pro generally delivers an excellent listening experience because of its Noise Control features. And to get the best sound quality from your AirPods Pro, you can definitely use its noise-canceling features. Here we have discussed the 3 simple and quick ways on how to turn on noise cancelling on AirPods.
1. Turn On Noise Canceling On Your AirPods In Control Center
One of the most amazing features of the AirPods Pro is that you can use Control Center on your iPhone or iPad to turn on the noise canceling feature or disable it. And it is probably the fastest and easiest way to turn this feature on.
- First, you need to connect your AirPods to your device.
- Now, open the Control Center just by swiping down from the top right corner or swiping up from the bottom of the screen. And it generally depends on the model and it is where Wi-Fi and Battery icon is located.
- When Control Center opens, just tap and hold the volume slider until the additional controls with the AirPods icon appear.
- Now, click on the Noise Control button under the volume slider. Then, you will get three options to choose from – Noise Cancellation, Off, and Transparency.
- Finally, click on Noise Cancellation to enable the feature on your AirPods Pro.
You should remember that Transparency allows some environmental noise through, however Off disables the feature entirely.
2. Using The Settings App
You can also use the Settings app of your iPhone to turn on the noise canceling on your AirPods Pro with a few simple steps.
- First, tap on the Settings app to open it on your device.
- Then, click on Bluetooth and tap the (i) icon next to your AirPods Pro.
- Now, in the Noise Control section, you just need to tap on Noise Cancellation to enable the feature.
3. Turn On Noise Cancellation Directly On AirPods Pro
If you just want to ignore the noise around you and focus on your music, podcast, or audiobook, and you want to turn on the noise canceling on your AirPods Pro, then you can enable the noise canceling feature just by touching your AirPods.
However, using Control Center on your iPhone to manage the noise cancellation feature is pretty straightforward, but you can also do this by pressing the AirPods.
- So, to turn the noise cancellation on or off directly on AirPods Pro, you just need to press and hold the Force Sensor on the stem of one of the AirPods. So, you need to press the same area as when you play or pause audio, or answer or end a phone call.
- Now, you will hear a chime sound. Press it to go through the settings, as it will switch between modes each time you press it.
- Each chime sound signals that you have moved between Noise Control settings – Noise Cancellation, Transparency, or Off.
- Each mode has a slightly different type of chime that allows you to determine which mode it is currently in. And you can do this on either the left or right earpiece and you don’t need to simultaneously press the Force Sensor on both. Finally, stop holding when noise cancellation is selected.
Turn The Noise Canceling On Your AirPods From Your Mac
You can easily connect your AirPods to your Mac and listen to music directly. Also, if you are playing music from your Mac, then you can turn the noise canceling on and off on your Mac. Here is how to do it:
- First, you need to click on the volume control in the menu bar.
- Then, choose your AirPods Pro from the following options.
- After that, just select Noise Cancellation to enable the feature.
- Other options are also available which are Transparency or Off.
How Noise Cancellation Works On AirPods Pro
Noise cancellation is actually a part of the AirPods Pro feature called Noise Control. AirPods would offer you two Noise Control features – Noise Cancellation and Transparency.
Both of them would make your listening experience better by filtering out background noise, which also means that you can listen to your music at a lower volume as you are not disturbed by outside noise.
So, it will reduce the chances of hearing damage. And this Noise Control feature uses the AirPods’ built-in microphone to detect ambient sound levels and then uses its software to filter those outside sounds.
- Transparency: When you use Transparency mode, you can hear some sounds through your music. Because Transparency Mode allows some sounds through, such as voices, as you might still want to hear those. And it also allows you to have conversations while listening to music.
- Noise Cancellation: Noise Cancellation is definitely a little different from Transparency mode. This setting blocks out all the outside sounds as much as possible and it can give you the sense of being enveloped in the audio that you are listening to and drastically reduce the noise level of everything around you.
Turning Off Noise Cancellation On AirPods Pro
If you want to stop using noise cancellation, then you can turn it off by following the steps from any of the previous methods. So, you can also use the Settings app of your iPhone to turn off the noise canceling on your AirPods Pro by following these simple steps.
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- After that, click on Bluetooth and tap the (i) icon next to your AirPods Pro.
- Finally, in the Noise Control section, you just need to tap on Off or Transparency to enable Transparency Mode.
You can also turn off noise canceling from the Control Center on your iOS device, as we have already mentioned before, or you can do this by using Siri. And turning off the noise canceling using Siri is as easy as any other Siri command.
You just need to say “Hey Siri, turn off noise canceling,” and you are set. Also, if you want to turn on transparency, just ask for that and you will get your job done.
How You Can Turn On Noise Cancelling On AirPods Max
The other model of AirPods that has the noise canceling feature is the AirPods Max. It has excellent noise canceling and transparency, for those cases when you want to block out all the outside sounds or allow some sounds through.
- To turn on the noise canceling from your AirPods Max, press and hold the control button of your AirPods to open the noise control settings. It is the flat silver button on the right ear cup toward the front opposite the digital crown.
- Now, you need to listen for the chime sound, which shows that you have moved between Noise Canceling and Transparency modes.
- Finally, when the sounds around you are muted, then you know you have turned on the noise canceling mode.
What To Do When Active Noise Cancellation Doesn’t Work On Your AirPods
If the active noise cancellation feature is not working on your device and your AirPods Pro or AirPods Max, you can fix it quickly and easily by following the simple steps below. If these don’t solve your problem, then you can contact Apple Support.
- First, you need to check whether you have upgraded to the latest software or not on your device.
- Now, you can put the AirPods in your ear and then check your device to see if Active Noise Cancellation mode is turned on.
- Also, debris or earwax can sometimes affect Active Noise Cancellation, so you need to clean the mesh on top of it.
Wrap Up On How To Turn On Noise Cancelling On AirPods
If you have a set of AirPods Pro and are extremely annoyed with the outside noises while listening to your music, then the noise canceling feature can be really helpful for you.
And you can easily turn the setting on and off on your AirPods from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac device.
Now that you already know how to turn on noise cancelling on AirPods, you can easily change the Noise Control settings wherever you are.
However, if you want to have conversations or hear voices, then you can use the Transparency mode instead of noise cancellation.
We hope that our informative article has helped you to find out how to turn on noise cancelling on AirPods. If you are facing any issues while following any of these methods, then please let us know in the comments below.
FAQ: How To Turn On Noise Cancelling On AirPods
As there are different ways to turn this excellent feature on and off, a lot of people sometimes get confused and want to know how to turn on noise cancelling on AirPods in the easiest way. They also ask some related questions and here we have answered a few of them.
Q1. Is AirPods Automatically Noise Cancelling?
Ans: Not all AirPods are noise-canceling, particularly the first two AirPod versions don’t include any noise-cancellation features. However, the new AirPods Pro has built-in noise-cancellation features, including Active Noise Cancellation and a Transparency mode that mixes in ambient sound.
Q2. Does Noise Canceling Remove All Noise?
Ans: It generally depends on what kind of noise you actually want to reduce. And no technology can completely eliminate all outside noises. Noise cancellation is usually most effective in environments with lots of constant low-frequency sound, such as an airplane or a bus.
Q3. Is Noise Canceling Healthy?
Ans: Noise-cancellation headphones generally pose no risk to our health and are also safe to use, as they don’t emit any low-level radiation. So, you can definitely use your headphones to block out the outside noises as they pose no risk to your safety or well-being.