We generally need to multitask while we are working on our PC, and it is really important to effectively do it. Because sometimes you need more than one app window, as one window is not enough to present the information a user needs.
According to the report of Cleveland Clinic, only 2.5% of people are able to multitask effectively. And multi-taskers also benefit from having two or more screen views to quickly finish their workload.
That is why, if you know how to split screen on Mac or Macbook, it will make your life much easier. Because switching between multiple full-screen windows is not very efficient and it is easier to split your screen so you can keep two windows open simultaneously.
In this article, we have shared a step-by-step process on how to split screen on Mac to help you boost your productivity. Also, here we have covered how you can adjust the split screen view and exit the split screen on your Mac.
So, let’s get started.
What Is A Split Screen On Mac
Split screens on Mac can make it possible to run and view two different apps or windows so that users can see various information simultaneously.
At first, this can be pretty difficult for non-split screen users, however, it is a cool and convenient method to eliminate app switching and distribute your work properly.
So, users can open and run one or two applications at the same time by splitting screens, depending on the work they generally do. Also, some users even have dual monitors that can run multiple applications.
As drag-and-drop features are widely used and becoming more popular nowadays, it is easier to import files when you have split screens. And this feature is also a great alternative to buying monitors which occupy more workspace.
How To Split Screen On A Mac: Increase Your Productivity
In Split View, you would be able to look at both windows simultaneously, which would definitely help you in multitasking. It only requires some simple steps to split the screen of your Mac and use two apps side-by-side.
- First, you need to make sure neither window you want to use is in full-screen mode. Then, in one of the windows that you want to use, place your cursor over the green button located at the upper left corner of the window.
- And then, instead of clicking to maximize the window, hover until you see a drop-down menu with options on what to do with the window. Now, you can choose either Tile Window to Left of Screen or Tile Window to Right of Screen and your Mac will automatically enter split-screen mode.
- Then, depending on which side you have chosen, the window will occupy half of that screen and other open windows will be displayed on the opposite side of the screen. Now, just click on the window that you want to set in the other half or on the rest of your screen and it will fill the remaining half.
Adjusting Split Screen View On Your Mac
Now, if you don’t like how the windows are arranged on your screen or you might want the left window to be on the right or vice versa, then you can easily switch them.
- You just need to click and hold the menu bar of the window that you want to move and drag it to the other side.
- Also, you might want to make one window wider or narrower. So, if you want to adjust the size of the windows, then you can use the slider in the center of the screen. You just need to click the border between your two windows and drag your cursor to make one window smaller and one larger. However, your two windows will still fill the entire screen.
- And your menu bars, including the red, yellow, and green dots, would disappear in this split screen mode. You just need to move your cursor to the top of your screen, and the menu bar will appear again over both windows.
Simple Steps To Exit Split Screen On Macs
When you are done working in split screen view or split screen layout, you can return to fullscreen mode. You can follow these simple steps to get out of it.
- Move your cursor to the top of the window until the sizing buttons reappear at the top left of each window. Then, just click the red button to close that window or the green button to exit the split screen.
- And your other window is still open, however, it is just hidden in full-screen mode. If you want to access it again, just press the Mission Control button (F3) on the top row of your keyboard.
- Now, you would see two options at the top of your screen: Desktop and whatever window you had in the split-screen mode. After that, you need to click on the other window and use the green sizing button at the top left if you want to exit the full-screen mode.
Keyboard Shortcut For Split Screen On Mac
There are many useful Mac keyboard shortcuts, which include one for split screen. You can start by pressing Control + Command + F to put your desired window in full-screen mode.
After that, you can press the F3 button to access Mission Control and drag the second app you want to use onto the app you currently have in full-screen mode.
Then, just click back into the newly tiled apps and you will be in Split View. If you think that these are too many steps, you can create your own custom keyboard shortcut for Split View.
First, you need to go to System Preferences, then Keyboard, and after that select the Shortcuts tab. Now, choose App Shortcuts and press the + button under the list view.
Then, a pop-up window would appear, where you can add the shortcut details. Then, type “Tile Window to Left of Screen” in the first field and then input the key combination that you want to use.
And when you have activated the shortcut, your active window will tile to the left side of the screen and you can just select a second window to be added to your split screen.
How You Can Split Screen On A Mac Without Full Screen
The split screen function on Macs or Split View automatically splits two app windows in full screen.
However, if you don’t want the full-screen view or don’t like the full-screen mode of Split View, you always have the option to manually drag the windows to fit the desired space.
And this option also provides you with a little more customization than Split View. If you want to resize the window, just drag the sides or the corners of the app window.
If you need to move the window, you need to click somewhere on its top bar and drag the window to wherever you want. You should follow the same process for other windows also.
However, this method might not be the most visually appealing, it gives you the option to fit three or four windows on your screen instead of only two.
But if you are using your Macbook Pro, the display might not be large enough to accommodate that many app windows.
Why Split Screen Is Not Working On Your Mac
Now as you have already learned how to split screen on Mac, you should also know how to solve some problems that you might face while doing it.
First, you need to make sure the app that you want to view in the split screen is not currently in full-screen mode. Because the split screen only works from the normal windowed view.
However, if that is not the problem, then you would need to confirm that you enabled the Displays have separate Spaces setting.
To do this, first, go to System Preferences, then Mission Control. After that, check to see whether Displays have separate Spaces is enabled and if it is not, then enable it.
If you could not find that option in the Mission Control menu, then you need to make sure that you have updated to MacOS 10.11 or later, because this option is not available if you are running a macOS version older than El Capitan.
So, if you are using an earlier version, you will need to update your system to a newer OS. Also, you should remember that not all apps support split screen.
If you have tried every solution, and you still could not view the app in split screen mode, then probably the feature is not supported.
Wrap Up On How To Split Screen On Mac
Your Mac has a split screen view that can automatically resize two windows side-by-side. And you have learned that you can enter the split screen view, adjust the split screen view, or exit it in just a few simple steps.
Also, you would find that it is far from being difficult. And once you get used to it, then multitasking on either your Mac or Macbook can become a really easy task and it can definitely help you.
We hope that our detailed guide has helped you to find out how to split screen on Mac to work with two apps side-by-side.
And if you have any questions regarding the split-screen view on Mac, please leave a message in the comments below.
FAQ: How To Split Screen On Mac
A lot of people need to use multiple app windows on their PCs while they are working. But, many of them don’t know how to split screen on Mac, so they have different questions in their minds. In the FAQ section, we have tried to answer some of them.
Q1. Can I Split My Monitor Into Two Screens?
Ans: On the Windows desktop, you just need to right-click an empty area and then select the Display settings option. Now, scroll down to the Multiple displays section, and below the Multiple displays option, click the drop-down menu and select Extend these displays.
Q2. How Do I Open Two Tabs Side By Side?
Ans: If you want to use two or more apps at a time, then just grab the top of an app window and drag it to the side. After that, choose another app and it will automatically snap into place.
Q3. Can You Dual Screen With Mac And Windows?
Ans: It is a great way to expand your workspace and use lots of different apps simultaneously. And dual monitors are not just for professionals. You can easily set up dual monitors on your PC and Mac. However, you need the monitors and cables to connect them.